Cheryn from the new Olympic Village Drop Spot was interviewed on the CBC Early Edition about composting options for multi-family buildings. Lots of great info, if you missed the live feed listen to it here - at about minute 20:17
A new Drop Spot will be starting this Saturday, June 16th, at the West End Community Centre.
Where: West End Community Centre - 870 Denman St
When: 9:00am - 1:00pm
We are happy to be working with the West End Community Centre Association, the West End Neighbourhood Food Network, and Village Vancouver to bring more composting options to one of the most densely-populated neighbourhoods in the city.
To help launch this new Drop Spot there will also be a public presentation and discussion about food composting prospects in the West End:
*Food Scraps and Composting Forum ? Policy and Practice*
When: June 16, 2012, 11 am to 12:30 pm
Where: Bidwell Room, West End Community Centre, 870 Denman Street
Purpose: To inspire and inform by providing information and covering the significance and prospects for food scraps composting. Report will be prepared from information collected.
2. Introduction: West End Food Scraps Drop Spots, results so far, future prospects for different composting models in West End (including 100% coverage of multi-unit residential buildings), context of food scraps composting in the entire food cycle
3. Policy Aspects of Composting (Liz Blakeway describes findings of masters research on composting globally and locally, with specific examples) (20 minutes)
4. Situation in West End, past, present, and future prospects
5. Short reports: City’s pilot program on single family composting program, (b) grants/funding, (c) more…Metro Vancouver
6. Open Discussion
7. Conclusion: Summarize desired or possible outcomes for food scraps composting in 3, 12, 36 months?
Hope to see you there!